News
Veteran
Support
Invite Your
Friends to Join
Added on Fri 20th Mar 2020 8:20pm   Last edited on Sat 21st Mar 2020 5:45pm

Kendra Lee

Be sensible in your preparation

The coronavirus has turned the world upside down and people are shopping like it's the end of the world.  Well, hey, maybe it is.  Still, it's important to prepare sensibly, or you'll do more damage to yourself than good.  Spending all of your money on toilet paper won't do you any good if you can't make your mortgage payment.  And you don't need to pay five times the regular price for hand sanitizer when you can use soap and water. Every disaster is different, but unless there's an immediate emergency, you should take a minute to consider things prudently instead of rushing into action.     

That was the most recent message that I added to my Story Garden for my son and daughter to hear once I'm gone.   I figure another disaster will come along, unfortunately, and I want them to teach them to be prepared. 

Added on Sat 21st Mar 2020 9:53am   Last edited on Sat 21st Mar 2020 9:53am

A.J. Patterson

My children are grown, although they could probably still use a lesson or two in preparation, they'd not be thrilled to hear it (again) from me. I used the coronavirus outbreak to teach my grandchildren about the stock market and investments.  I also discussed the dangers of panic selling as well as not having enough cash on hand.

Added on Sat 21st Mar 2020 5:45pm   Last edited on Sat 21st Mar 2020 5:45pm

Randy Gillis

It feels like a very big thing, doesn't it?  Like something major has descended upon us all.  I created messages about community involvement and looking out for others who might help.  I think it's becoming uncommon to check on your neighbors and to make sure the elderly have supplies.  I know we're supposed to practice social distancing, but you can still do that while still picking up a loaf of bread for the neighbor who can't get out.  I want my children to do better. I created messages to explain some of that.