News
Veteran
Support
Invite Your
Friends to Join
Added on Fri 2nd Feb 2018 1:44pm   Last edited on Thu 22nd Feb 2018 7:08am

Sara Head

Starting your first video

I'm just now getting started with this program. I've written down some ideas, I just haven't gotten anything on film yet. I haven't even attempted. I think part of me is scared to officially start the process. I can't really pinpoint why. I think I just feel awkward about it, scared to be vulnerable, and I don't know, it's forcing me to think about dying and that's something I like to avoid doing (which probably isn't healthy but I don't care). Did anyone else feel this way? How did you bite the bullet and get going?

Added on Wed 7th Feb 2018 7:04pm   Last edited on Wed 7th Feb 2018 7:04pm

Mary Ellen Miller

I've only just started recording my legacy, Sara, but my emotions have been easier to manage once I got going.  I just try to remember that my family will appreciate anything I've left behind for them.  Just pick a topic that has positive connotations for you like family meals, early mornings, books, anything you enjoy and start chatting about that.  If you don't believe the recording turned out well you can always delete it and try again.

Added on Sat 10th Feb 2018 12:12am   Last edited on Sat 10th Feb 2018 12:23am

Sara Head

I'm glad to hear that it gets easier once you start. I guess this is just one of those times when the first step is the hardest step. I'll just have to keep telling myself that. Thank you for reminding me that my family will appreciate whatever I leave behind, no matter how bad it is. That's already making me feel more confident about this. I need to write that down and put it up on my wall. Do you usually write out what you're going to say or do you just start with an idea and go from there? Thanks for the help!

Added on Fri 16th Feb 2018 11:07am   Last edited on Fri 16th Feb 2018 11:07am

Mary Ellen Miller

I don't write things out before recording mostly because I don't feel good and can't muster the energy for it.  My recordings generally focus on central themes like happy wishes on holidays and birthdays, advice about dating and finances, and individual messages to my closest family members about how much I love and appreciate them.  I try to create them right after waking up and getting dressed since that's when I feel my best.  I think that helps.  

How are your messages coming along, Sara?  I can see how beneficial it would be to create a bullet point list of information to cover beforehand.  The service provided by Ohio Hospice is versatile, you could create your messages in text instead of video.  That might make it easier to cover topics that make you sad.   I considered creating HeartPrints & American Pride that were a mixture of recordings and text, but I'm just not up to it.  It's easier for me to talk than to write.  I'm glad we have many options to leave our legacy. 

Added on Thu 22nd Feb 2018 7:08am   Last edited on Thu 22nd Feb 2018 7:08am

Sara Head

I thought writing them out beforehand seemed like a great idea at the time but in reality, it's just a way to procrastinate and, like you said, I just don't have enough energy to be spending it on things like that anymore. Thank you so much for sharing your tips and ideas. Those all sound like great things to include. It makes me wish I had some really good advice to pass down though! Well, I have some really good advice but most of it is cliche and about not taking life for granted. But that's important to remember which is why my first video focused on that. Thank you so much for helping me get through the process. I don't think I could have done it without your guiding hand and kind words. I've been able to get a couple done now. The first was definitely the hardest! 

You're right. I could try using the text instead for the more difficult messages. I hadn't considered using that because I think videos are so much more personable. But maybe it would be nice to hear things from me without having to see me in this state, you know? 

Thanks again, Mary Ellen!