Veteran
Support
Invite Your
Friends to Join
Added on Wed 4th Oct 2017 9:18am   Last edited on Wed 27th Dec 2017 2:13am

Amanda Conti

From Amanda With Love

I'm sorry if the title is not funny.

The name is Amanda. A woman, a wife, and a mother to one adopted son. I was a mail processor in a food store before I was diagnosed with a terminal breast cancer. Life feels kind of unreal from that point on, but here I am, hanging onto the last moments. It was by chance I found this place online and the messages touched me. I have so many to learn still, so I'll do my best.

Added on Mon 9th Oct 2017 8:06am   Last edited on Mon 9th Oct 2017 8:06am

Sofia Rodriguez

Welcome to the forum, Amanda.  I joined not long before you and I've found the friendly support here helpful.  I think it's amazing that you adopted a child.  How old is your son now?  I think the toughest part for me is knowing I'm leaving my children behind.

Added on Mon 9th Oct 2017 10:27am   Last edited on Mon 9th Oct 2017 10:27am

Amanda Conti

He is 12 years old. I feel the same way as you do. At my worst days, I feel very frustrated that I am also going to leave him like his parents before him, especially around the time when he probably needs me the most (teenagers nowadays seem dangerous). It's also the hardest thing for me to bear at this point despite my husband's support.

Added on Tue 10th Oct 2017 1:28pm   Last edited on Tue 10th Oct 2017 1:28pm

Josh Reynolds

Oh Amanda, I'm so sorry to hear that.  My wife passed away before I became sick and our children were already grown and thriving as adults. I imagine the worry is ten times worse when you're leaving behind a young child.  Still, my wife fretted over leaving her adult children.  She worried that they would need her because some of them had just had children of their own.  So of course, they would need their mom's advice and help.  I just wish HeartPrints had been around then.  Recording messages for the children to hear after her passing would have provided her with peace. It's been a big help to me and I hope it relieves you as well.  Spend some time recording all the advice you wish to leave and all the love you have to share.  I hope it helps.

Added on Wed 27th Dec 2017 2:13am   Last edited on Wed 27th Dec 2017 2:13am

Amanda Conti

Josh, I was browsing my profile when I saw your post. My husband and I visited his colleague's mother in the hospital due to stomach cancer metastasis. His son is of our age and she was still worried. I could understand, though. The son is not yet married and his younger sister has a mental retardation though it is a light one. Their father had passed away years earlier. The son has so many things on his shoulders even more than before. My heart broke for them.

People say that children always look like toddlers in the eyes of their parents regardless of their actual ages.